There is nothing better than drinking out of a trophy. It is a time honored tradition started by NHL teams but it works for every sport. Nothing says champion like drinking out of an expensive cup. Which makes me question whether commissioners try to stop it. Alcohol can probably ruin the silver so do they have to get the trophy touched up after every championship drinking binge or do the insides of these cups get worse every year? These are questions I will never get answered unless I manage to win the MLS Cup and I don’t see that happening anytime soon.
Ten clubs will qualify for the MLS Cup Playoffs — the top five in points from each conference at the end of the regular season:
- The 4th- and 5th- place teams will play a single knockout game, and the winner will advance to the Conference Semifinals and face the 1st-place team in the conference;
- The Conference Semifinals will be decided by a two-game, aggregate-goal format;
- The Conference Championships will be decided by a two-game, aggregate-goal format;
- MLS Cup will be hosted by the finalist that finished the regular season with the most points in the standings
The playoffs will be broadcast on ESPN, NBC/NBCSN, and Univision in the United States and on TSN and RDS in Canada.
The MLS Cup final will air on ESPN, UniMas, TSN and RDS networks.
MLS Cup Playoffs 2014, presented by AT&T schedule:
Conference Knockout Round
- Wed-Thurs, Oct. 29-30
- Leg 1, Sat-Sun, Nov. 1-2
- Leg 2, Sat-Sun, Nov. 8-9
- Leg 1, Sat-Sun, Nov. 22-23
- Leg 2, Sat-Sun., Nov. 29-30
MLS Cup Final
- 3 pm ET, Sun., Dec. 7
More details here.